The large amount of garlic in this beef roast recipe (2 whole bulbs) becomes mellow with marinating and cooking. You have to plan ahead on this one; the roast marinates for 3 days in the refrigerator. You can replace the brandy with beer or leave it out altogether in a pinch. It give the roast a different flavor, but it’s still delicious.
(Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo Option, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Garlic Beef Roast Recipe
- 4 lb Alderspring organic grass fed beef roast
- 2 large bulbs of garlic each clove with skin removed, 1 bulb with each clove split in half (do up one bulb first)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 onions cut into wedges
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablspoon peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- ¼ cup vinegar
To Marinate (3 days prior to serving)
- Pierce meat all over with knife point, and insert a split garlic clove in each hole.
- Pour oil over the roast, and rub to cover.
- Place in large roaster. Sprinkle rest of dry ingredients over.
- Pour wine, brandy and vinegar into bottom of roaster.
- Cover and refrigerate. Turn twice a day until serving day.
To Cook (after marinating for 3 days)
- Place cloves from second bulb on top of roast.
- Bake in 300 degree F oven for 4 hours, basting often. Test for desired degree of doneness.
- Cool 10 minutes prior to carving.
- Garnish with parsley and orange wedges.