Filling your house with delicious aromas as it cooks in your kitchen all day, this herbed crock pot rump roast is the perfect meal for those cold winter evenings. The basic herbs and spices of parsley, thyme, cloves, pepper, and bay leaf combine nicely with the tomatoes and port to bring out the delicious meaty flavor of the roast. You can use this recipe for any roast of your choice not just rump roasts
(Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Herbed Crock Pot Rump Roast (or roast of your choice)
- 4 lb rump roast or any Alderspring organic grass fed beef roast of choice, floured & seasoned with salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- ½ green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 16 oz can tomatoes
- ½ cup port wine
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 whole cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Brown floured roast in oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Place roast along with the tomatoes, port, herbs and spices into a crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Baste several times with pan juices while cooking.
- Alternatively, once the roast has been browned remove meat from the pan, and set aside.
- Fry onions, peppers and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add tomatoes, port, herbs and spices. When mixture comes to a boil, add the roast, and baste with sauce.
- Cover and place in a pre-heated oven at 325 degrees F. Cook for about 2 hours or until tender.
- Baste several times with pan juices during roasting.
- Slice thin and serve with pan juices.