The vinegar and beer in this top round roast recipe add a slight edge to the this pot roast while the bacon adds sweetness and flavor. Use this recipe and any roast of your choice to create a delicious, tangy meal. Works great when cooked in the oven or all day in the crock pot.
(Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free)
Tangy Bacon Beer Braised Top Round Roast Recipe
- 3-4 lb Alderspring organic grass fed beef roast of choice
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar can substitute cider vinegar
- 1 10 oz can beef broth, undiluted (I usually use chicken or beef stock I have on hand, rather than canned)
- 1 cup beer
- Fry the bacon in a large, non-stick skillet. Remove to paper towel.
- Drain off all but about a teaspoon of the grease from the pan.
- Add onions to the pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook until onions are lightly browned; remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the pan (with a little butter or oil, if necessary). Cook until softened; remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a large, plastic zip-lock bag, combine flour with salt, allspice, and pepper; add roast and shake until all sides are well-covered with flour mixture; brown quickly on all sides.
- Place the roast in a Dutch oven or roaster, or crock pot.
- Place diced bacon, onions and mushrooms over the roast. Add vinegar, beef broth and beer to the skillet; bring to a boil. Boil for about 3 minutes; pour over roast and vegetables.
- Roast in oven at 325 degrees F for about 2 hours, or until thermometer reaches 140 degrees F internal temp. Alternatively, cook in the crock pot on low 6-8 hours.
Pin and Share this Tangy Bacon Beer-Braised Top Round Roast Recipe!