A hot and spicy kebab that will definitely heat up your grilling! For a whole new twist on cooking kebobs, try this beautiful marinated Peruvian kebab recipe. This is also a great beef heart recipe for making beef heart really, really good.
(Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo, GAPS, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Recipe adapted from Steve Raichlen’s Barbecue Bible.
By the way…if you want more awesome beef cooking secrets (for example, how not to ruin a beautiful cut of beef by slicing it wrong), as well as lots of great beef recipes for no-fuss dinners, join the Meathacker newsletter below!
Peruvian Kebabs with Beef Heart
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds or 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup aji panca paste or 2 canned chipotle peppers with 1 tablespoon of their juices
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- About 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus oil for basting
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds beef heart
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium heat. Put the garlic in and cook until brown on all sides. Put the cooked garlic in a small bowl.
- Toast the cumin in the skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Place the cumin in the bowl with the garlic and add the aji panca paste or chipotle peppers. Add the paprika and puree to a paste. Work in the vinegars and enough oil to make a thick paste. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cut beef hearts into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide. Cut diagonally into strips about 2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide, 1/4 inch thick. Weave 3 pieces meat back and forth onto each skewer so that flat side is exposed to the fire.
- Put the skewers in a glass baking dish and spread the marinade over the meat with a spoon. Cover and marinate 6 to 12 hours, turning several times.
- Heat the grill to high and oil the grill grate.
- Drain the marinade off of the kebabs, throwing the marinade out. Arrange on hot grate with aluminum foil under the exposed parts of the skewers to prevent burning. Grill until sizzling, brown, and cooked through (about 10 minutes total). Baste on the grilled side with achiote or olive oil after 3 mins to keep the meat moist (using about 2 tablespoons oil).
- Serve hot.
Pin and share this Spicy Peruvian Beef Heart Recipe!