(Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo, AIP, GAPS, Low FODMAP, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Turns out that that Alderspring summer sausage isn’t just for snacks or lunch on the go: it’s actually great for breakfast with eggs and hash-browns (as cowboy Josh served it here at Alderspring) or even on a pizza (we used it this way for in a pepperoni pizza recipe for Glenn’s birthday dinner last week)! The trick is to fry it in some good olive oil before you use it. Fried until it’s just a bit crunchy on the outside, it tastes like bacon…without the pork. This is a great pepperoni substitute if you don’t want to eat pepperoni full of junk…we guarantee that our summer sausage is junk (and pork) free–just meat and seasonings and some of that wild Alderspring flavor.
Fried Summer Sausage
- 1 Alderspring summer sausage
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil plus more as needed
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. If oil starts smoking, the pan is too hot.
- Slice the summer sausage thinly and lay the slices in the hot pan.
- Fry, stirring/flipping occasionally, until caramelized on the outside.
- Put the slices on a pizza or serve with eggs and hash browns for breakfast!
Some other great uses for that summer sausage: chopped up onto a salad, fried and folded into a quesadilla, taken backpacking/hiking for wilderness survival (our beef sticks are also perfect for this), brought on trips as a healthy allergy free restaurant alternative, or just eaten at home as a quick snack. We bring our summer sausage up on the range with us, packed into a saddlebag for the afternoon because it keeps pretty well for a day without refrigeration. You might find us high up on a mountain ridge overlooking the herd of grazing cattle, summer sausage in one hand and a pair of reins in the other…living the dream.