Beef Stroganoff (Beef Strogonov). The English version (stroganoff) has less cream and butter. This Russian/French version makes our favorite son-in-law happy (we can call him that because we only have one son-in-law so far). This version is said to have originated with the Strogonov family of early 19th century Russia. The Strogonovs were a wealthy merchants and patrons of the arts who also employed a French cook. The recipe became popular at a time when the Russian aristocracy frequently explored French cuisine and culture. It was first published in 1861 in a Russian cookbook titled A Gift to Young Housewives: Govjadina po-strogonovski, s gorchitseju “Beef à la Stroganov, with mustard.” Traditionally it was made with beef fillets, no onions, no mushrooms, and a bit of sour cream. Our grass fed beef sirloin tip kabobs are an affordable choice that works just as well. You can also use any clean, lean cut, like an eye of round roast, cubed into small chunks. We like the onions and the mushrooms, and we’ve modified this recipe for our gluten free needs (cornstarch instead of the traditional wheat flour), and if you use grass fed organic creams and butters and replace the cornstarch with arrowroot powder, this is an awesome meal for folks following the Paleo diet or a Weston A. Price diet. You can serve it over potatoes or zucchini noodles.
(Gluten Free, Grain Free Option, Paleo Option, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Beef Stroganoff with Grass Fed Beef Sirloin Tip Kabobs
Beef Browning Ingredients:
- 2 pounds sirloin tip kabobs or any leaner cubed cut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 pound mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder for grain free/paleo
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Black pepper
- If needed, dice sirloin tip kabobs into small chunks, 1 inch cubes. In large cast iron fry pan, brown sirloin tip kabobs in butter on medium heat.
- In another pan, first brown onions in butter, and then add mushrooms until all nicely browned and caramelized. Sprinkle on corn starch, stirring in until dissolved.
- Remove beef chunks from pan after browned, leaving drippings.
- Add 2/3 cup water to beef pan, stirring to make broth with the drippings.
- Combine the broth and onion/mushroom mixture into the largest pan.
- Add heavy cream, sour cream, and mustard.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, to make creamy sauce. Add beef cubes, and seasonings. Add black pepper and salt to taste.
Pin and share this Beef Stroganoff with Grass Fed Beef Sirloin Tip Kabobs recipe.