This ultra tender, 5-ingredient, and amazingly easy baked whole chicken has a secret ingredient: butter. Cooked into the chicken, butter really brings out the moisture and flavor of a good pastured bird. You won’t ever cook chicken any other way again.
(Gluten Free, Primal, Grain Free, Paleo Friendly (includes butter), Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free, Low FODMAP, GAPs)
This tender baked whole chicken contains just five ingredients: chicken (shocker, right?), butter, and a few simple seasonings. With good pastured poultry, however, you don’t need much added flavoring–your bird should have enough to stand by itself. And the secret ingredient, butter? That helps too. Half a stick in the cavity of the bird will melt down during cooking and dissolve into the meat.
Serve this baked whole chicken sliced up in its juices for the ultimate moisture!
Tender Baked Whole Chicken Recipe–Just 5 Ingredients
- ½ cup 1 stick butter
- 1 whole chicken ranging from 2.5-4 lbs (cooking time will vary accordingly)
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- A few heads fresh rosemary chopped
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt about ¼ cup (half the stick) of butter in your microwave or a small saucepan on the stovetop.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan or a basic pyrex baking dish. Drizzle the butter over the top of the chicken and rub the butter over the surface of the chicken.
- Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary and rub onto the chicken, inside and out.
- Place the remaining ¼ cup (half a stick) butter in the cavity of the chicken.
- Now here’s where things get interesting: you can either place your chicken breast down, as I did, or breast up, as many people like to do. I personally prefer putting mine breast down, because all the juices soak downwards into the meat and make the breast meat very tender. Others prefer to put theirs breast up because it gives the breast meat a beautiful golden crust. You make trade-offs either way, so take your pick.
- Anyway, put your chicken in the oven and cook for about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until a thermometer stuck into the center of the meatiest part reads about 180 degrees F (cooking time will vary depending on how big your chicken is, so go by temp check)! Remove from oven and rest 15 minutes before slicing the chicken. Serve in the pan to allow the chicken to absorb the juices in the pan.
Did you enjoy this whole baked chicken recipe? Here’s a pinterest-friendly image to share and save!