This grilled rump roast must be roasted slowly. Roast only to medium rare, or this fairly lean cut will dry out. This grilled rump roast recipe suggests marinating for 2-3 days, which both tenderizes and increases the moisture content of the rump.
(Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo, GAPS Option, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Grilled Rump Roast
- 2 ½ cups vinegar
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 onions sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 whole cloves
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 1 med. lemon sliced
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 1 3-4 lb Alderspring Organic Grass Fed Rump Roast
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
- In a glass baking dish deep enough to accommodate the roast, combine all ingredients from vinegar to bay leaves in the list above.
- Rinse and pat meat dry with paper towels. Add to dish and turn to coat.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate 2 to 3 days turning meat occasionally.
- Drain meat. Mix olive oil, vinegar, honey and pepper as a basting liquid.
- Put on spit and put drip pan under meat. Place end of meat thermometer probe in the center of the meat, but be careful to not touch the metal rod of the spit. Roast, turning slowly, over low coals.
- Using a brush, baste every ten minutes with olive oil mixture.
- Roast until thermometer is 150 degrees F for medium rare.
- Remove from grill and let rest covered lightly with foil for 15 minutes before carving.
- Salt meat at table.