Here’s part 2 of Basic Pot Roast Variations! Check out these other variations for more ideas on how to cook a pot roast. You can make this roast with practically any roast from the Alderspring store.
Also, check out Basic Pot Roast Variations (Part 1) for more variations!
(Gluten Free Option, Paleo Option, GAPS Option, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free Option, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Basic Pot Roast Variations (Part 2)
Yield 4 lb Alderspring Roast of Choice (Serves 8-12)
This is an old recipe that I’ve adapted and added to from other recipes to create a compilation of basic pot roast variations. You can never ruin a pot roast if you follow the basic format of seasonings, liquid and slow cooking. The many variations of this recipe allow you to adapt it to your diet if you have food allergies. You can make this roast with practically any roast from the Alderspring store. (Gluten Free Option, Paleo Option, GAPS Option, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free Option, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- 4 lb Alderspring organic grass fed beef pot roast of choice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- cooking vegetables for flavoring (e.g., onions, celery, carrots, garlic)
- Other vegetables to serve on the side (e.g., potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips; add about 2 hours before roast is finished)
- ¾ -1 ½ cups liquid (wine, tomatoes, vegetable broth, etc.)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- herbs and other seasonings as desired (see variations below)
- Season the flour with the basic seasonings and pound the mixture into the meat with the edge of a plate or a meat pounder.
- Brown meat on all sides in the oil.
- Add the onions, garlic or celery, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Add the herbs, seasonings and liquid. Cover tightly and bake 325 degrees F oven for 5 hours, or up to 8-12 hrs in a crock pot on low setting.
- Add other vegetables (starchy ones like carrots or potatoes) about 2 hours before roast is done.
VARIATIONS: LIQUID: 1/2 cup Jack Daniels, one can vegetable broth, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce; HERBS: bay leaf, ground thyme; BASIC SEASONINGS: salt, pepper, allspice, Cajun seasoning; COOKING VEGETABLES: include an apple LIQUID: 1 1/3 cup pureed tomatoes; HERBS: minced dill; OTHER: add 1 cup sour cream to drippings to make gravy LIQUID: 1/2 cup canned fruit syrup, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 bouillon cube; HERBS: pinch of powdered fennel, 1 teaspoon minced dill LIQUID: 1 1/2 cups cabernet added to saute onions and 2 cloves of garlic add 1 chopped carrot and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 (14 oz.) can of pureed tomatoes; HERBS: 1 teaspoon thyme, 3 bay leaves; BASIC SEASONINGS: dash of cloves, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon paprika LIQUID: 3/4 cup dry white wine, 2 tablespoons brandy, 1 tablespoon chili sauce; HERBS: 6 coriander seeds, 12 peppercorns LIQUID: 1 cup white wine, 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes; HERBS: bay leaves, paprika, 2 bouillon cubes, parsley; COOKING VEGETABLES: potatoes, celery, carrots LIQUID: 3/4 cup white wine, 2 tablespoons brandy, 2 teaspoons chili paste, 1 can vegetable broth; HERBS: 2 tablespoons Folger instant coffee, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves crushed garlic; BASIC SEASONINGS: 3 pieces freshly crushed allspice, 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon celery salt
Serving Size About 1/3 lb each person
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.