We’re looking for a ranch technician to work on our 1650 acre valley ranch this summer. The job includes irrigation management and repair, fencing management and repair, chainsaw use, weed management, some cattle moving, and some basic repair work. Additionally, the technician would assist on our 46,000 acre rangeland in putting in tanks and setting up water systems for our riding crew and cattle. Training in all of these areas will be provided. There are no specific requirements for previous experience, but we’re looking for a capable individual who has a good head for mechanics and a problem-solving mindset.
DEADLINE: Midnight March 31, 2021
Via online application (application link at bottom. Please read job description before applying).
Organic Grass Fed Beef
May, Idaho USA
Alderspring is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, orientation or creed.
Position: Ranch Technician
Duration: Seasonal, with possibility for advancement to Permanent
Pay: Wage is DOE (Depending On Experience). Average hours are 50 per week, with most (likely all) Sundays off.
Position starts: Mid-late April (flexible start date).
Position ends: October 1, unless if advancement to permanent becomes an option.
Fringe: Housing in wall tent on premises, access to a community kitchen, hot shower, outhouse. Beef to eat. There are no other benefits associated with this position. Workmen’s compensation insurance is required by law, and Alderspring complies.
Rules on the ranch: No drinking, no drugs, no smoking on ranch premises.
Job Description: Percentages are estimates, and may vary:
- Irrigation Tech: 35%. repair and maintenance of all irrigation systems from pivots (Valley), wheelines and K-lines. Includes tire/center drive/gearbox repair, track filling, drop maintenance and pipe/bird repair. Light welding. Tool use.
- Fencing tech: 10%. Repair and maintenance of 55 miles of barbed wire fence and 3 miles of buck and pole wood fence. Construction of wood fence. Chainsaw use. Handtool use.
- Range stockwater tech: 15% Repair and maintenance and placement of gravity water and pump stockwater systems and tanks on the 46,000 acre grazing permit. Keep 425 head of stock well watered. Pipe repair tools. Handtools. Digging tools. Occasional heavy lifting. Tying down loads.
- Weed tech: 15%. Mechanical and hand control of noxious weeds (no chemical spray—organic protocols only) on all of 1650 private ranch and 23 miles of forest and BLM roads on the grazing permit. Supervise weed crews. Hand tools. Weed wackers. Insect deployments.
- Cattle work: 8%. Moving, branding, sorting and weighing of yearling cattle. Some cattle handling skills.
- Repair and maintenance of infrastructure: 7%. Four wheeler, motorcycle, small tractor, pickup maintenance and upkeep. Changing tires, repair of tires on tire machine. Changing oil/gas. Technical hand tools: wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers.
- Miscellaneous: 10%. Building upkeep, aid on range crew, scale repair, construction, electric fence installation and maintenance, flood irrigation, landscape construction and maintenance. Handtools. Axe. Chainsaw. Weedwacker.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: None required except a valid US driver’s license. Alderspring will train as needed. Proficiency in most areas of the job description will be expected by July 15. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in any of the description fields, and if they prove adept, pay raises will be given accordingly at Alderspring’s discretion. Attitude (happy, gets along with others, willing to learn) will take preference over all work experience and skill levels.
About Alderspring Ranch: The ranch is a profitable 1650 deeded acre ranch with a 46,000 acre grazing permit that has been in operation for 28 years under the ownership and direct management of the Glenn and Caryl Elzinga family. We live and work our own ranch. We run between 400 and 600 cattle on the ranch and permit with an emphasis on rotational stewardship grazing with little equipment input (there is currently NO heavy equipment on the ranch, and it is a human and animal powered operation). Irrigated ground is around 450 acres under 5 pivots, 5 wheelines, and 5 K-lines. Rangeland is dry, from 4000 to 9500 foot elevation with 55 miles of fence and about 15 miles of pipeline for stockwater. Alderspring finishes 400 head of cattle a year on a 100% grassfed organic operation that entirely markets all of their own beef to brick and mortar stores and through their webstore at Alderspring.com. More about the ranch can be seen on Instagram at Alderspring_ranch or Facebook at Alderspring Ranch
Alderspring is a drug and alcohol free workplace. We avoid foul language. Tobacco is not permitted on the range due to wildland fire hazard.
The byword of Alderspring is “For 28 years, handcrafting wild wellness and flavor while regenerating wild landscapes.” Applicants with an interest in fulfilling that vision of providing excellent and good food to our customers while restoring the ecological integrity of our rangelands will be given preference.
US citizenship is required due to workmen’s compensation requirements and COVID-19 border restrictions.
We look forward to your application!
Glenn and Caryl Elzinga
Leave a Reply