All of our offered pastured poultry was raised with care in Idaho's Treasure Valley, just several hours south of Alderspring Ranch by Josiah Barrett, longtime former Alderspring employee, who has started his own small farm featuring his pastured birds (his growing season is several months longer than our own high altitude season).
The real game changer for us regarding Josiah's birds is that he owns and operates his very own small USDA chicken processing facility. It is most likely one of the smallest USDA plants in the world. What that means is his birds are hand-processed by him and his team for absolute integrity under the watchful eye of a full time USDA inspector. We think it is some of the cleanest bird in the business!
Here are the details on Josiah's (J-Bar's) Pastured Chicken:
- Transitional to organic. Josiah is responding to a lot of you folks have wanted certified organic poultry for a while now, and this coming summer we can finally offer it! Josiah's pastures will arrive at organic certification this spring. His other business, his poultry processing shop, is already organic. This means guaranteed chemical free, GMO free, and 3rd-party verified by the USDA.
- Raised on open pasture. These birds are raised on organic pastures in large enclosures to protect from predators while providing a diversity of plant forage and plenty of roaming space.
- GMO-Free & Feed. Poultry must have some grain in their diets in order to finish, so Josiah supplemented his grass pastures with GMO free grains that DO NOT include inflammation causing Corn, soy, and canola.
- Non-Cornish Cross Genetics. We know that many of you folks prefer a foraging breed for the flavor and health benefits. All of Josiah's birds are Freedom or Red Rangers, a hardy breed that captures some of the growthy characteristics of cornish type birds with an ability to forage well. The result is a bird that is more flavorful and nutritious.
- Small Batch Processing. Josiah and his team also hand processed all of these birds at their very small-scale (micro compared to nearly all chicken in the US) USDA-inspected facility. Josiah and his team only process in small batches in order to ensure quality and careful attention on each bird. This is an extreme rarity in the world of chicken! For us, the eaters of Josiah's birds, we can tell the difference in even the feel of a bird as we remove it from the package.
Alderspring pastured chickens after moving to a fresh break of grass!
Because this is small-batch, artisinally produced chicken, we do have variances in weight per bird. Because of this, you’ll get an adjusted value based on actual weight. As with all of our products, we will only charge you for what you get. You’ll see each product has a weight range. The price applies to the highest weight, and if the actual weight is lower, we’ll refund you the difference. But if your bird is larger than what you paid for, well, the extra chicken is on us!
Looking for something but it's out of stock? We've moved most of our inventory over to our new and improved storefront here!