Alderspring Pastured Poultry
We finally have Alderspring Pastured Poultry back! Because we were already partnering with Josiah of J-Bar Poultry (below) for whole birds, we’re offering our birds as parts. We did set aside some whole birds, though, for those of you wanting certified organic and heritage.
All Alderspring pastured poultry was raised with care right here on Alderspring Ranch by Joshua Madany, who also raises our grass fed organic lamb (you can find that here), and manages all Alderspring fulfillment.
Here are the details on Alderspring Pastured Chicken:
- Certified organic. A lot of you folks have wanted certified organic poultry for a while now, and this summer we can finally offer it! This means guaranteed chemical free, GMO free, and 3rd-party verified by the USDA.
- Raised on open pasture. These birds are raised on organic pastures in large enclosures to protect from predators while providing a diversity of plant forage and plenty of roaming space.
- GMO-Free & Organic Feed. Poultry must have some grain in their diets in order to finish, so Josh supplemented Alderspring grass pastures with certified organic oats, millet, peas, kamut, barley, and wheat sourced from organic growers in Montana and Idaho. Corn, soy, and canola free.
- Heritage Genetics. We know that many of you folks prefer a heritage breed for the flavor and health benefits. All of Josh’s birds are New Hampshires, a heritage breed that finishes a little more slowly than your typical white grocery store Cornish bird, but as a result is more flavorful and nutritious. Also, in order to use the term “Heritage,” we must follow certain growing protocols: the bird can’t be produced through artificial insemination, and cannot be raised in confinement.
- Small Batch Processing. Josiah of J-Bar Poultry and his team also processed all Josh’s birds at their small-scale, USDA-inspected facility. Josiah and his team only process in small batches in order to ensure quality and careful attention on each bird.
Alderspring pastured chickens after moving to a fresh break of grass!
J-Bar Pastured Poultry
All of the whole birds below, except for the certified organic ones, are raised by Josiah Barrett at J-Bar Farms in Emmett, ID. Josiah actually worked here at Alderspring for several years up until going on to found his own farming enterprise.
Here’s Josiah’s growing protocol:
- Raised on transitional organic pasture (organic requires no chemicals on a pasture for several years before it can be certified. Josiah’s pastures are in that transitional phase).
- GMO free feed (poultry must still consume some grains to finish. These ate only certified organic feed consisting of grains like oats, millets, and peas (no soy or corn).
- Small batch processing. Josiah actually owns and runs his own small, USDA-inspected poultry processing plant. He and his expert team processed all of his birds themselves.
Note on both Alderspring Poultry and J-Bar Poultry:
Because this is small-batch, artisinally produced chicken, we do have variances in weight per bird. Because of this, you’ll get an adjusted value based on actual weight. As with all of our products, we will only charge you for what you get. You’ll see each product has a weight range. The price applies to the highest weight, and if the actual weight is lower, we’ll refund you the difference. But if your bird is larger than what you paid for, well, the extra chicken is on us!