Healthy Ground Beef Casseroles: Simple Mexican Ground Beef Casserole
Healthy ground beef casseroles make for a great family dinner, and this particular casserole is pure, kid-pleasing, stick-to-the-ribs ground beef casserole comfort food. Look for quality thick corn chips, or make your own from cut tortillas, quick fried and drained. Serve casserole immediately and let people dress their own individual servings with the toppings to avoid making the corn chips soggy.
(Gluten Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- 1 lb Alderspring Organic Grass Fed Ground Round
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 1 –2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1 15 1/2 oz can kidney or pinto beans (or make your own from dried beans- it's easy)
- 8 oz of corn chips
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato chopped coarsely
- ½ sweet onion chopped fine
- 1 green pepper chopped coarsely
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In large skillet (or better, a dutch oven) brown the meat, onion and garlic.
Stir in tomato sauce, juice, chili powder and oregano.
Place meat in baking dish or leave in the Dutch.
Top with beans, then corn chips.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.