This marinade for flank steak and veggie packets recipe is a crowd pleaser, can be made gluten/grain free and/or soy free, and is easy. Even grill time is minimized. The veggies take a while, but the steak cooks quickly. This is important, because Glenn has ruined many a great steak by…talking…while cooking a long grill project. This recipe requires just 8 focused minutes at the fire (great for the recovering ADHD husband) and voila’! My Hero! An option is to simply grill the veggies, but the little packets are fun, and you can have a separate grill area and let the kids turn these over and mess around with them.
For a gluten/grain free option replace the tamari/soy sauce with coconut aminos and replace the Dijon mustard with dry mustard.
For a soy free option replace the tamari/soy sauce with coconut aminos.
(Gluten Free/Grain Free Option, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free Option, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Marinade for Flank Steak with Veggie Packets
- 2 sweet onions diced (for packet) or sliced (for direct grilling)
- 2-3 peppers red or yellow or mixed, diced or sliced
- 1 yellow pepper diced or sliced
- 2 zucchinis diced or sliced
- 1-1.5 lbs Alderspring Grassfed Organic Flank Steak you can also make this with skirt steak
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Half teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a glass bowl, mix the oil, tamari, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and ground black pepper. Place meat in a shallow glass dish. Pour marinade over the steak, turning meat to coat thoroughly. Use fork to perforate both sides, with emphasis on the fat covering side. Cover, and refrigerate for 8 hours, or longer if you can, up to 24 hours.
- Add the veggies into the marinade about an hour before grill time.
- Pull out veggies from dish, let rest in a strainer for 5 minutes, then place in foil. Roll and seal the edges tightly
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat
- Put veggies on slow coals or on low part of grill in foil pouch.
- Check veggies in 15 mins. If steamy and a little soft, pull to an area where they will stay warm but not hot.
- Oil the grill grate.
- Place steak on grill; brush marinade on while turning steak 3x, over about 8 minutes.
- Let steak rest for 2 minutes on warm plate; place on cutting board and cut in thin slices across the grain, about 1/8” thick. We like these served fajita style, placing meat, pouched veggies, fresh salsa, greens, sour cream, and guacamole into tortillas (our gluten-free family uses rice flour tortillas).
Pin and Share this Marinade for Flank Steak with Veggie Packets!
Leave a Reply